1. To stay awake later in the night than usual while waiting for someone to arrive home. It”s going to be quite late before I get home, so don”t wait up for me. I”ve been waiting up all night scared to death that you might be hurt, or worse!2. command Stop or slow down so I can catch up with you. Hey, wait up, guys! I”m coming too! Tell them to not to wait up—I need to change this tire, so I”ll be a while.See also: up, wait
wait up (a minute)
Wait for me while I catch up with you! Tom, who was following Mary down the street, said, “Wait up a minute! I need to talk to you.” John: Hey, Sally! Wait up! Sally: What”s happening?See also: up, wait
wait up (until something)
to delay going to bed until a certain time or until something happens or someone arrives. Are you going to wait up until midnight? We waited up until we heard him come in the back door.See also: up, wait
(for someone or something) 1.
Bạn đang xem: Wait up là gì, nghĩa của từ to wait up (for somebody), wait up là gì
Đang xem: Wait up là gì
Fig. to stay up late waiting for someone to arrive or something to happen. I”ll be home late. Don”t wait up for me. We waited up for the coming of the new year, and then we went to bed. 2. and hold up (for someone or something)Fig. to wait for someone or something to catch up. Hey! Don”t go so fast. Wait up for me. Hold up! You”re going too fast.See also: up, wait
1. Postpone going to bed in anticipation of someone or something, as in My parents always wait up until I get home, no matter how late it is. 2. Stop or pause so that another can catch up, as in Let”s wait up for the stragglers, or Don”t walk so fast; wait up for me. See also: up, wait
v.1. To postpone going to bed in expectation: We will be out late tonight, so don”t wait up. The children waited up for their parents to come home.
Xem thêm: Have / Keep An Open Mind Là Gì, Nghĩa Của Một Số Cụm Từ Với
2. To stop or pause so that another can catch up: The leader of the hike waited up for the stragglers.See also: up, waitSee also:
wait on|wait|wait upon
v. 1. To serve. Sue has a summer job waiting on an invalid. The clerk in the store asked if we had been waited upon. 2. formal To visit as a courtesy or for business. We waited upon the widow out of respect for her husband. John waited upon the President with a letter of introduction. 3. To follow. Success waits on hard work.
wait for me, wait until I catch up Danny, wait up. I want to talk to you.
wait up for
not go to bed until the kids come home at night Mom always waits up for us when we go to a party.
v. phr. To not go to bed until a person one is worried about comes home (said by parents and marriage partners). My mother always waited up for me when I went out as a young student. She always waits up for her husband when he”s out late.
1．serve；attend as a servant侍候；吃饭时作招待She waited on us at dinner．她在一旁侍候我们吃饭。The old lady does not like to be waited upon，because she thinks she is still capable of taking care of herself．那位老太太不喜欢别人侍候，因为她认为她生活还能自理。2．follow as a consequence为…结果；随…而产生Success waits on hard work．成功来自于勤奋。His whole future waits on the results of the examination．他的整个前程都取决于这次考试的结果。 wait at table wait for wait for (one’s) boat to come in wait for (one’s) ship to come in wait for (someone or something) wait for dead men’s shoes wait for it wait for the dust to settle wait for the next wave wait for the other shoe to drop wait in the wings wait on wait on (someone or something) wait on (someone) hand and foot wait on hand and foot wait on hand and foot, to wait on somebody hand and foot wait on someone hand and foot wait on table wait out wait tables wait till wait till/until… wait turn wait until wait up wait up for (one) wait upon (someone or something) wait upon (someone) hand and foot wait-and-see wait-and-see attitude waiting waiting game waiting in the wings waiver wake wake (up) from (something) wake (up) to (something) wake from wake the dead wake the dead, to wake to wake up wake up and die right wake up and smell the coffee wake up feeling human wake up on the wrong side of (the) bed wake up to (something) wake up with the chickens waken waken to (something) wait at/on table wait at table wait on wait on table wait on/upon wait out wait upon walk away from walk away/off with walk away with walk into walk off walk off with – Từ đồng nghĩa, cách dùng từ tương tự Thành ngữ, tục ngữ wait up
- Lời bài hát Cái Mày Ở Lại Đây Nha – Cát Tiên, Huy Đinh
- Hướng Dẫn Sử Dụng Owncloud Tạo Dịch Vụ Lưu Trữ Đám Mây Riêng Với Docker
- Hệ Quản Trị Cơ Sở Dữ Liệu Sql Server Là Gì, Hệ Quản Trị Cơ Sở Dữ Liệu Là Gì
- Tập làm văn 3: Viết một đoạn văn ngắn tả cảnh quê nội (hoặc quê ngoại) của em
- Bảng Ngọc, Cách Lên Đồ